The development of a data centre architecture to support edge computing in Africa is a major step forward in helping realise Africa’s digital and economic potential. To capitalise on current and future edge computing technologies, the continent requires implementation of converged open-access digital infrastructure capable of delivering high performance and low latency.
What is edge computing?
Edge computing is a distributed information technology (IT) architecture in which client data is processed at the periphery of the network, as close to the originating source as possible. This can help reduce latency and bandwidth usage, making it particularly useful for applications that require real-time or near-real-time data processing.
OADC is leading the drive to transform Africa’s digital capabilities with a unique core-to-edge data centre proposition. The core-to-edge architecture consolidates edge computing basics, edge data centres and hyperscale connectivity within a single ecosystem, underpinning the deployment of low-latency applications and supporting 5G rollout and extension of Internet Service Provider (ISP) and fibre operator infrastructure into new locations.
OADC EDGE, our open-access and carrier-neutral edge DC infrastructure, is the first to be deployed at scale on the continent – initially rolling out in South Africa, where it integrates access to hyperscale network connectivity with storage and application hosting in edge locations. Clients can realise significant benefits, utilising securely-powered local facilities where large volumes of critical data can be backed up or processed locally before being forwarded to larger, regional facilities, and enhancing end-user experience by minimising latency.
What can OADC EDGE do for ISPs, WISPs, mobile operators and fibre operators?
- Ensures reliable network connections with high speeds of 100Gbps+
- Holds key data close to where it is generated/consumed
- Underpins deployment of distributed workload applications and servicing of low-latency requirements eg 5G, IoT, content delivery
- Financial and business benefits from Capex minimisation, release of depreciating assets, access to world-class facilities and opportunity to reassign in-house resources to core business activity
- Provides secured locations with 24/7/365 monitoring and security with assured uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
- Allows network and service extension based on our pan-African footprint and roadmap
OADC EDGE uniquely provides a seamless core and edge data centre environment across the continent that will drive rapid economic growth and stimulate new and exciting opportunities for ISPs, WISPs, mobile operators and fibre operators in edge computing in Africa.